Question about "the whole three yards" (1882)

Sat May 17 04:39:59 UTC 2014

Bonnie: The following citations involving long faces and smiles might
be relevant though the word "whole" was not present.

Henry James used the expression "a face three yards long" in an 1883
volume that reprinted some of his pieces from magazines and journals.
So this instance may have been published before 1882. I have not
traced the original appearance.

Title: Portraits of Places
Author: Henry James
Year: 1883
Quote Page: 65
http://books.google.com/books?id=cGYJAAAAQAAJ&q=%22face+three%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
I had really been enjoying the good old city of Florence; but I now
learned from Mr. Ruskin that this was a scandalous waste of charity. I
should have gone about with an imprecation on my lips, I should have
worn a face three yards long. I had taken great pleasure in certain
frescoes by Ghirlandaio, in the choir of that very church; but it
appeared from one of the little books that these frescoes were as
naught.
[End excerpt]

In 1897 an Oklahoma newspaper article mentioned a facial feature with
an exaggerated measurement specified in yards, i.e., a smile "three
yards long".

Newspaper: The Hennessey Kicker
Date: January 16, 1897
Article: The County Capital
Quote Page 1, Column 3
Newspaper Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
http://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc88713/m1/1/

[Begin excerpt]
This made us feel awful bad, and if it had not been for the timely
appearance of ex-Judge Raymaker, with a smile on his face three yards
long we don't know what would havebecome of this poor editor.
[End excerpt]

In 1903 another instance of  "a smile three yards long" appeared.

Newspaper: Atlanta Constitution