trophy wife (1961)

Mon May 19 03:38:51 UTC 2014

Ben: Your excellent article mentioned that "trophy" originally
referred to the spoils of war. The 1919 citation below is a analogical
extension of this meaning that merges with the term "trophy wives".
The newspaper published a picture showing "forty seven foreign wives
of American soldiers and sailors".

Date: March 30, 1919
Paper Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Newspaper: Baltimore American
Section: Pictorial Gravure
Quote Page: 1
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin photo caption]
Our Boys Return with Wives as Trophies and Photographs the Censor
Finally Passed.
[End photo caption]

Below is a version of a trophy wife in 1889.
Year: 1889
Title: The Primitive Family in Its Origin and Development
Author: C. N. Starcke (Carl Nicolai Starcke)
Quote Page 219

http://books.google.com/books?id=ysuAAAAAMAAJ&q=%22as+a+trophy%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
When Spencer states that before marriage it was often necessary to
give proof of courage, and that this led to the symbolizing of the
wife as a trophy, we cannot agree with his opinion, since we believe
that the proofs of courage demanded of a bridegroom must be regarded
as a symbolic warrant of his capacity to provide for and protect a
wife.
[End excerpt]

These citations are intended to provide interesting background.
Continuity with the modern sense of trophy wife is not being asserted.

Garson