an antedating "how to"?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu May 22 15:50:31 UTC 2014

Fwiw, if students take only one linguistics class, the topic of greatest general interest is probably word origins, aka etymology.
If Ms. Young would contact me offline, I could pass along some suggestions.

Gerald Cohen
Professor of German and Russian
Research specialty: Etymology
Department of Arts, Languages, & Philosophy
Missouri University of Science & Technology
Rolla, MO 65409
gcohen at mst.edu

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Beth Young [zbyoung at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:50 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: an antedating "how to"?

I really appreciate all these ideas!

It's true that most of my students won't become enthusiastic antedaters . .
. I teach upper-division undergrads and first-year MA students, primarily
English majors who will take only one linguistics class ever (because they
have to).

But I'll bet a couple of student would take to it, if I can inspire them to
the spirit of exploration and give them enough of a map to start with. Plus
I'll be teaching a f2f honors class next year that would enjoy a class
project like Stephen suggested.

I am encouraged to try again. :)  Thanks--

Beth