The Right Rhymes (historical dictionary of hip-hop)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 22 19:06:31 UTC 2014

Anyone interested in the history of hip-hop slang needs to check out
The Right Rhymes, a website launched last month by OUP language
technologist Matt Kohl:

http://www.therightrhymes.com/

Matt has amassed an exhaustive corpus of properly dated rap lyrics and
presents huge numbers of citations for lexical items, along with
common collocates and maps indicating the origins of cited artists. By
way of example, see the entry for "represent," which came up here
recently (see below). In the relevant intransitive usage, Matt
presents examples back to 1986:

http://www.therightrhymes.com/represent/

So far, Matt has compiled 512 headwords and 646 senses, citing 22,139
lyrical quotations. Very impressive work -- also good to consult in
conjunction with the Google Ngrams-style Rap Stats from Rap Genius:

http://rapgenius.com/rapstats

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/