More careless lexical baloney

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 23 13:35:04 UTC 2014

 Liz Goodwin, Yahoo! News today:

"The Greeks didn’t call it PTSD. But they understood that war brought
trauma (from the Greek word meaning 'wound'), which left some warriors with
a 'thousand-yard stare,' a phrase used by Sophocles."

AP, 2008:

"I found that even 2,500 years ago Sophocles was using words like
'shell-shocked' and 'the thousand-yard stare' ... said retired Lt. Col. Jay
Kopelman, who fought in the fierce Iraq battle of Fallujah in November
2004."

JL