Antedating of "crazy" (submodifer)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 26 15:27:54 UTC 2014

Crazy, man!

Occasional collocations of this sort, "Crazy and ([or] because of being)
drunk" and  "crazy and ([or] because of being) busy," evolve into the
current more general adverbial "crazy" meaning "wildly; extraordinarily;
very."

Cf. the old-fashioned jazzy sense of "exciting; marvelous; fine." You know,
"gone."

JL