Pronunciation of Donetsk

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 29 14:53:29 UTC 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 12:46 AM, imwitty wrote:

> One more thing related to the Ukrainian events:
> 99% of the on-line news mention "Slovyansk" (which is wrong) instead of
> "Slavyansk", probably trying to avoid any association with the English
> ¨slave¨, or thinking that the root of "Slovyansk" is "slovo" (Russian and
> Ukrainian translation of the English "word".

I'd wager it's neither of the above; the simpler explanation is unfamiliarity with the Russian and (I assume from the above) Ukrainian rule that unstressed /o/ (or orthographic <o> in both Cyrillic and standard Romanization) is pronounced [a], something you're taught in Russian 101, which not all the newscasters have taken.  Hence a garden-variety spelling pronunciation.  Same for Donetsk, which I haven't heard as "duh-neck", but have usually heard as /do'nyEtsk/ (when the first vowel isn't simply schwazified) rather than /da'nyEtsk/.

LH