Show Out

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 31 02:11:29 UTC 2014

Do you have any examples of this "show off" to indicate that it has the
same meaning as "show out"? Like,

That called third strike really upset John. He just showed off, calling
that empire all kind of names!

When Mary pulled the binky out of its mouth, her baby fair showed off,
squalling like a panther!

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM, Indigo Som <indigo at well.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Indigo Som <indigo at WELL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Show Out

> I=92ve lived in San Francisco Bay Area pretty much all my life. I=92ve =
> heard =93show off=94 more, but have also heard =93show out=94, =
> (almost?*) exclusively from African American folks =97 some of whom were =
> born, bred & buttered here, like I was, & some who were from the South & =
> other places.=20
>
> *haven=92t kept careful track, but I think if I heard non-Black people =
> say =93show out=94 they were probably from the South &/or spent a lot of =
> time in African American communities.
>
> On May 29, 2014, at 9:00 PM, Automatic digest processor =
> <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote:
>
> > From: Brian Hitchcock <brianhi at SKECHERS.COM>
> > Subject: Show Out
> > Date: May 29, 2014 at 12:09:29 PM PDT
> >=20
> >=20
> > Having lived on the west coast for 63 years (Seattle area, then Los =
> Angeles area), I have always heard "show off". Not once have I  heard =
> "show out",  in a positive or negative sense, even in my travels across =
> the country.  The recent post in ADS-L is the first I've heard of it. =
> But I've never been to Georgia, and only briefly to Texas.  IMHO the =
> usage is regional.
> > Brian Hitchcock
> > Torrance, CA

-Wilson