Pronunciation of Donetsk

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 31 22:31:53 UTC 2014

I'm humble enough to don't argue with Shevelov's authority (and with him
either, because he died in 2002,) even though the title of his huge book
that took him about 15 years to finalize, contains the word "historical",
and while its analysis does include the "modern" Ukrainian, I doubt that
Shevelov's everyday communications since 1944 were in Ukrainian, because he
moved to Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Saxony, Munich, Sweden, and finally to
the USA.

And, according to his biography in Wikipedia , --*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Shevelov
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Shevelov>** -- *"Shevelov was almost
unknown to Ukrainian academic circles after 1943. In 1990, after an
extended absence, he visited Ukraine where he was elected an international
member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. In 1999 he received
an honorary doctorate from the Kharkiv University and from the National
University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy."

So at the time he was lecturing at UCLA, he didn't live among the Ukrainian
population, and didn't hear the everyday contemporary Ukrainian
pronunciation for 26 years. And as we know, any language is changing --
even according to the title of his work... (;'-)))

Whatever Wikipedia says, the unstressed "o" in "Donetsk" doesn't pronounce
as in "boy". It is "reduced" (not like in "lot" , certainly, or the
"complete" schwa!!!), except the pronunciation in the Northern Russia,

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Pronunciation of Donetsk

> Wikipedia:
>
> Donetsk (Ukrainian: =D0=94=D0=BE=D0=BD=D0=B5=D1=86=D1=8C=D0=BA Ukrainian
> pr=
> onunciation: [do=CB=88n=C9=9Bt=CD=A1s=CA=B2k],
> translit. Donets=E2=80=99k; Russian: =D0=94=D0=BE=D0=BD=D0=B5=CC=81=D1=86=
> =D0=BA, tr. Donetsk, IPA: [d=C9=90=CB=88n=CA=B2et=CD=A1sk]
>
> This is correct, WRT to the fact that the initial syllable does not contain
> shwa in either Russian or Ukranian.
>
> Shevelov, George Y. (1979). A Historical Phonology of the Ukrainian
> Language. Heidelberg: Carl Winter Verlag.
>
> Prof. Shevelov was my teacher when he was a visiting prof at UCLA, summer
> 1970.
>
> [Without name-dropping, my life would have no meaning. :-( ]
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Pronunciation of Donetsk

> ------
> >
> > So fix it.

> --=20
> -Wilson
> -----
> -Mark Twain

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.