[Ads-l] Interdating: "bulldozer, bulldozing"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 1 00:17:59 UTC 2014

HDAS:
bulldozer, bulldozing
1876

Congressional Series of United States Public Documents
books.google.com/books?id=vl5HAQAAIAAJ - Page 112
1879

"West Feliciana, La., May 17, 1877"
. . .

"Hopeful of an affirmative response, I subscribe myself,
John W. _Bulldozer_"

Ditto - Page 631

"Washington, D.C., July 3, 1878"
. . .

"Q. Did he have anything to do with the _bulldozers_? - A. Yes, sir. The
time he went into this _bulldozing_ business was when colored men were
_bulldozers_, too."

OT. While in the process of looking for "bulldozer," I stumbled upon

"bull of the woods n. ... (specif.) a foreman, superintendent, or the like
...," reminding me of a singing commercial for Bull of the Woods Chewing
Tobacco, ca. 1945.:

"[Mwaaww!] He's the boss!"

As it happens, I'm not familiar with this TV ad at all, though I remember
the jingle from radio days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVtbbYBYA4

There was also an unrelated "Bull of the Woods" cartoon series:

http://goo.gl/7MfmlQ

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain