[Ads-l] A Chinese Proverb of dubious provenance

Mon Nov 3 21:48:41 UTC 2014

According to https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Laozi <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Laozi>, this quote is from Dàodéjīng (Tao Te Ching), generally attributed to Lǎozǐ (Lao-Tsu).

Quoted there from Chapter 17:

A leader is best when people barely know that he exists, not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worst when they despise him. Fail to honor people, They fail to honor you. But of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aims fulfilled, they will all say, "We did this ourselves."

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home