[Ads-l] Sentence-final though / tho / doe

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Nov 5 14:11:07 UTC 2014

On Nov 4, 2014, at 7:42 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>
> Subject:      Sentence-final though / tho / doe
>
> Anyone have anything to say about sentence-final "though / tho / doe"?
> I've heard it from my son and his peers, and seen it on some internet
> memes. On the surface, it's nothing more than the ordinary
> sentence-final "though", but its (possibly over-perceived) frequency,
> and presence in a very informal register, often in AAE-influenced
> language (as indicated by the "doe" spelling) make me think there's more
> to the story. Below are a lot of Urban Dictionary entries I've collected
> for it....

not in my files.  vaguely reminiscent of a discussion of sentence-final but/so/then initiated on the newsgroup sci.lang in 2006 by a poster using the name sylh (then at smhttiki at hotmail.com ), with examples from Scottish, NZ, and Australian English (to which one poster added Hawaiian Pidgin).

arnold