[Ads-l] "antedate" for _pothole_

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 6 05:00:46 UTC 2014

On Nov 5, 2014, at 11:35 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> I am not questioning the anachronism in "Pemberley", but the implication
> that somehow a 'pot hole' can be a naturally occurring hole generally, but
> not in a road,  at least not before 1889.

Tough call.  My intuition follows the OED in carving out a separate subentry for the road impediment kind of pothole (< 1889), but I can see your point for the other side.  On the other hand, I think we can agree that the use of the verb "over-react" a bit later on in "Pemberley" (OED first cite 1919, from Watson's _Psychology_) is a rather simpler case.

LH