[Ads-l] Medical insurance Kentuckianisms?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 6 17:39:53 UTC 2014

Today I listened to the automated answering voice of a company that
assists my medical insurer in determining whether another party
should share in payments to cover an accident (such as someone else
who was negligent).  The letter I had received was from Louisville, Kentucky.

1)  Early on she said, with a southern intonation, "We provide
subrogation services to your payor [sic]."  What distressed and
suffering accident victim these days will know what "subrogation"
means?  Why not say "We provide assistance to your medical service
provider in determining whether another party may be responsible for
some of the costs resulting from a recent accident"?

2)  "Payor" was pronounced "pay-OR", as in "oar/ore/or".  I wonder
how it was spelled in her script.  I notice, however, that the OED
has one recent, relevant quotation:

2004   www.gsk.com 8 Nov. (O.E.D. Archive) ,   Patients must be
paying the full cost of their prescriptions to participate (i.e., not
reimbursed by any third-party payor).

Joel