[Ads-l] Horse creature

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 7 17:02:33 UTC 2014

At 11/7/2014 05:20 AM, Michael Quinion wrote:
>Thanks to everyone who has put forward suggestions.
>
>Dan Goncharoff's comment about technical distinctions in horse culture and
>Joel Berson's pointer to an old usage of "Horse, Mare or Gelding" prompted
>me to check the OED's entry for "horse" (duh). This confirms that usage by
>noting that "horse" was commonly used to refer specifically to an adult
>male horse.

And I notice that the relevant sense (1.c) of "horse" is given
as:  "spec. The adult male of the horse kind".

So even the OED still uses the phrasing, and specifically the word
"kind", that I had remembered!  (In the OED it presumably means
"species". Afterall, a seller of a "horse creature" would hardly
present a zebra, or even a donkey.

Joel