[Ads-l] patient zero

Sun Nov 9 22:55:20 UTC 2014

Thanks for your response, Neal. The phrase "patient zero" referred to
Gaetan Dugas who died from AIDS related complications in 1984, I
believe. Randy Shilts's book "And the Band Played On" had a chapter
titled 'Patient Zero", and his reporting helped to popularize the
term. The Wikipedia article for "Index Case" has an image of a contact
graph that apparently came from an influential scientific paper that
traced early cases of AIDS. The nodes of the graph were labeled with
numbers, and the key origin node was numbered zero and highlighted in
red. This zero node corresponded to Dugas, although I do not think his
name was given in the scientific paper.

The numbers apparently referred to the chronology of the onset of
illness. Zero was used as a starting benchmark. As an aside,  the
analysis in the paper concerning the spread of AIDS was later
determined to be flawed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_case

The sometimes reliable Wikipedia has some citations that illustrate
the broadening application of the term "patient zero":

[Begin excerpt]
The phrase "patient zero" is now used in the media to refer to the
index case for infectious disease outbreaks, as well as for computer
virus outbreaks, and, more broadly, as the source of ideas or actions
that have far-reaching consequences.[11][12][13][14][15]
[End excerpt]

Garson