[Ads-l] Slang a la the NYT

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 11 19:55:15 UTC 2014

Prescriptivists now prefer "Mexican-American War."

Because the old version *could be interpreted,* by those inclined to do so,
to mean that Mexico started it. Or could suggest that to innocent minds.

Cf. the diehard insistence on "The War Between the States."

Which isn't accurate anyway because separate states weren't at war in a
free-for-all:  two nations were at war, one internationally recognized and
established, the other unrecognized but de facto.

The diehards reject "Civil War" because, see, a "civil war" takes place
*within* a nation.

There's may be no limit to semantic paranoia.

JL