[Ads-l] /d/ for flapped /t/

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Nov 15 20:48:59 UTC 2014

Answering Wilson also.

I can hear a difference when I speak knowing that there might be a
difference.  And it sounds (I think!) somewhat like what Jon is
describing.  I think I even lower the tone of the "a" when I say
"ladder" as compared to "latter".  But am I biasing myself to prove a
preconceived hypothesis?

Probably my test would only tell me what I can *hear* if I listened
to someone else speak a (potential minimal) pair -- such as
latter/ladder, butter/budder, better/bedder.  But then I would have
to listen to someone who makes the distinction in speaking, wouldn't I?

Joel