[Ads-l] /d/ for flapped /t/

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 16 17:40:53 UTC 2014

I have a hypothesis -- Many metropolitan New Yorkers distinguish more
phonemes* than many other Americans due to their heritage from
earlyNew York City, which had the most heterogeneous and polyglot
population of the colonial American period?

* I say phonemes since some of us can hear "latter" vs "ladder",
"betting' vs. "bedding". "writing" vs. "riding", "mat" vs. "mad",
"lats" vs. "lads".  Or are these T's and D's already phonemes?  Are
the altered vowels of the pre-/t/ and pre-/d/ environments also phonemes?

Joel