[Ads-l] dear John letter

Tue Nov 18 05:03:28 UTC 2014

Below is an instance of "'Dear John' letter" that was linked to the
military draft. However, the meaning differed from the one suggested
by Herb's note. An individual wished to join the military and was glad
when he received a letter from the draft board. After a physical exam
he received another letter notifying him of his failure. This second
missive was labeled a "Dear John" letter. Hence, the traditional
meaning of a letter sent to a rejected beau was generalized to refer
to another type of rejection.

Title: Mousie Garner: Autobiography of a Vaudeville Stooge
Authors: Paul Garner, Sharon F. Mrotek Kissane
Publisher: McFarland
Chapter: 7
Quote Page: 99
Year: 1999
Database: Google Books Preview

http://books.google.com/books?id=Vy41mDPFqYQC&pg=PA99&#v=onepage&q=%22Dear%20John%22&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
Shortly afterwards, I was sent to Virginia to be tested. When they
said, "Pick up your right foot," I did. When they said, "Pick up your
left foot," I did. So I figured I had passed with flying colors.
Then I got my "Dear John" letter. I had flunked my physical.
[End excerpt]

Garson