[Ads-l] Another faux etymology for "Black Friday" (day after Thanksgiving)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 26 20:41:10 UTC 2014

> "Black Friday" stems from the selling of (black) slaves the day after
>  Thanksgiving.

Clearly. And, as a cartoon in Playboy noted, ca. fifty years ago, "white
sale"
stems from the selling of (white) women into sexual slavery.

Of course, Playboy meant this as a "joke" and not as a genuine etymology to
be taken seriously by the unwashed masses.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Another faux etymology for "Black Friday" (day after
>               Thanksgiving)

> Searching the Wayback Machine for the Snopes URL generates the message
> below:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/blackfriday.asp
> This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine.
>
> An excellent illustration of the difficulty researchers face in dating
> electronic documents.
> Garson
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Bonnie Taylor-Blake
> <b.taylorblake at gmail.com> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Bonnie Taylor-Blake <b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Another faux etymology for "Black Friday" (day after
> >               Thanksgiving)

> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Though the Snopes example was collected last year, I don't think that
> >> page was created until this year.
> >>
> >> In the "What's New" section, it's dated as Nov. 24, 2014:
> >>
> >> http://www.snopes.com/info/whatsnew.asp
> >>
> >> ...but I think it was actually posted a few days before that (there
> >> are Twitter links to it from 11/19) and updated on 11/24.
> >
> > Thanks much, Ben.  You're probably right that it wasn't on the website
> > in 2013, but I'm fairly certain this appeared at least several months
> > ago over on snopes.com, fairly in advance of this year's
> > "celebration."
> >
> > Unless I've created a false memory of seeing it there earlier ...
> >
> > -- Bonnie

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain