[Ads-l] verb of the season

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 29 01:42:18 UTC 2014

"to black Friday shop"

Obviously around for awhile, given the number of hits for "How to Black Friday Shop" alone (there's even a T-shirt with the legend "This Girl Knows How To Black Friday Shop"), but I hadn't noticed them in previous years.  Another timely verb is "showroom"; "showrooming", I just learned from an NBC News segment.  It's been around since at least 2012, long enough to have its own wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showrooming

"Showrooming is the practice of examining merchandise in a traditional brick and mortar retail store or other offline setting, and then buying it online, sometimes at a lower price"

And I'm afraid I've been guilty of this sin myself, without even knowing its name…

LH