[Ads-l] Black Friday in Rochester, NY, 1961

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 30 21:53:21 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Newspapers_com has an advert for a Black Friday sale on November 27,
> 1959. But when I put my cursor on the advert there is a message that
> says B_taylorblake clipped it 7 minutes ago. So she will no doubt
> report on it.

Ooh, sounds like I was marking my territory or something.  : )

I don't see that this advertisement was in the November 12th or
November 13th (Friday) issues of that year.

The "morbid" artwork -- the coffin outline and the gravestones and the
wreath -- of this November 28th ad has been a source of confusion for
me, though indeed the text reads "prices have died" (and later "It's
Your Opportunity For the Buy Of A Lifetime!").  Hard to tell, though,
if this truly has to do with "Black Friday" as the frenzied shopping
day (with "Black" humorously suggestive of calamity, etc.) that was
taking place in Philadelphia and, apparently, Rochester around the
same time.

Whatever it is, though, there it is.

-- Bonnie