ask, n.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 1 14:10:18 UTC 2014

The "ask" makes the New York Times.  Well, not really; they're
quoting Concast (and we know how degenerate TV broadcasters
are).  Well, not really; it's a lawyer, making a plea to the FCC.

[Begin quote from NYT]

[I]n a filing submitted to the Federal Communications Commission last
week in defense of its proposed merger with Time Warner Cable, the
company lashed out uncharacteristically at its critics.

In a thick document bristling with arguments on its own behalf,
Comcast used quite a bit of ink and hot rhetoric on those who would
lay it low, saying in part: "The significance of this extortion lies
in not just the sheer audacity of some of the demands, but also the
fact that each of the entities making the 'ask' has all but conceded
that if its individual business interests are met, then it has no
concern whatsoever about the state of the industry, supposed market
power going forward, or harm to consumers, competitors, or new entrants."

Gee, Comcast, don't sugarcoat it. Say what you really mean.

The word extortion is usually applied to guys with names like Nicky
who wear bad suits and crack their knuckles a lot. If this is how the
company acts in the wooing stage, imagine how charming it will be
once it actually gets what it wants.

[End quote.]

 From "Growling by Comcast May Bring Tighter Leash", by David Carr,
Monday Sept. 29, 2014.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/business/media/growling-by-comcast-may-bring-tighter-leash.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3As%2C{%222%22%3A%22RI%3A16%22}&_r=0

Here "ask", noun, seems to be either "demand" (if it is indeed
extortion) or "plea" (as more courteous lawyers might refer to
something asked of a court).

In the remainder of the article, I didn't see David Carr either
explaining what " the 'ask' " meant, or saying he himself didn't know.

Joel