get one's goat (1906)

Sat Oct 4 01:06:12 UTC 2014

Wilson Gray wrote:
> *Serious* semantic WAG, based on context: "render him gutless"?????

I think that analysis makes sense, WG. Doug has suggested that "get
his goat" meant to shake a person's confidence or rattle a person's
composure.

A goat can function as a good luck charm in some situations. Hence to
"get his goat" meant symbolically to "take his good luck charm".
Losing an ostensibly lucky goat causes a concomitant loss of
confidence. The phrase was used metaphorically.

The meaning of the phrase has shifted over the decades. Now "get one's
goat" means "to anger, annoy, or frustrate a person" according to
Dictionary.com (Random House Dictionary).

Garson