"Terrible Robin"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Oct 4 20:55:07 UTC 2014

I think Dan Goncharoff's suggestion of Robin Goodfellow (AKA Puck)
suffices amply.  He might be said to terrify at least some ("[he]
That frights the maidens of the villagery", to quote the Bard), and
certainly was a leader astray ("with echoes and lights in nighttime",
the Bard again).  Cf. "red herring" as something misleading or false
in the Thomas Brown quotation.

Joel