Slang a la the NYT

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Oct 5 16:32:49 UTC 2014

I didn't waste much time, but ...

I don't know whether the Dude of The Big Lebowski
fits either of the first two senses of "dude" in
the OED, but both do predate Lebowski by over 100 years (both 1883 vs. 1998).

If "the Dude" is merely "More generally, any man
who catches the attention in some way; a fellow
or chap, a guy. Hence also approvingly, esp.
(through Black English) applied to a member of
one's own circle or group." (draft additions
1993), then the predating is merely 80 years (1918).

Joel