[Ads-l] Junk Characters (geeky)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Oct 26 15:32:58 UTC 2014

So much for trying to be clever.

I typed the post below directly into an email, thinking this would be OK.
Unfortunately, I chose to construct it by taking an existing post and
replacing the body of the text with my own typing.

I suspect that the post I chose was *already* encoded in UTF-8, and as a
result ...  Well, it's there for all to see.

So now, I'll copy this into EditPad, and re-copy the result into this email.

Here's hoping.

Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:13 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Junk Characters (geeky)

---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM>

My current solution to this problem is to use the freeware editor =
EditPad Lite, with the Text Encoding set to ISO-8859-1 (also known as =
Latin-1).  When a passage is pasted into this editor with that setting, =
EditPad strips out all ASCII characters outside the range of 32-126, and =
replaces them with  [?].  That can then be edited, copied, and pasted =
into an email.

Not ideal, but one stage better than the Windows default Notepad, which =
doesn=E2=80=99t seem to catch everything.

A hope this may be of help to someone.  It=E2=80=99s a somewhat clunky =
solution, but it does seem to have worked with my latest post.

Robin Hamilton