Mildly disagreeing with HDAS

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 3 11:59:05 UTC 2014

Yeah, Wilson, I can recall "I shoulda stood in bed!" because it was still
big on '50s TV (my Yale and Harvard).

In the '70s and '80s, my students frequently listed "laid" as synonym for
nattily dressed. You mean I misinterpreted Herbert Simmons? Aiiieeeeee!!!!
(Seriously. Bummer.)

"Changes" is a revealing item. I remember trying to decide what was slangy
about such utterances as, "I've been going through a lot of changes, man!"

Maybe it was just the addition of "man."  (One time Kramer was afriaid that
Jerry had gotten mixed up with a drug dealer. He asked in panic, "Did he
say 'split'?  Did he say, 'man'????!!!!!")

Then I decided no, "changes" meant for than "reorientations."

Moreover, Wilson's days on the dark side have been a boon to
sociolinguistic research. When will he write an academic book that makes it
all boring?

JL