plus and minus

Nancy Friedman nancyf at WORDWORKING.COM
Sun Sep 7 15:09:11 UTC 2014

"Plus" (v.) has been cropping up in commercial language for a couple of years. Enterprise Rent-A-Car ran an ad campaign with the slogan "Plus Your Life" (translation: Improve your life). Here in the Bay Area, Sutter Health's ads say "We Plus You" (translation: We make life better for you).

I wrote a column for the Visual Thesaurus that traced this usage back to Walt Disney in the 1940s:

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/candlepwr/shall-we-plus/

"To plus our plan" doesn't quite translate to "increase." It's broader and more general--"to add features, to make it work better."
____

Word of the week: Ammosexual. http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com

Nancy Friedman
Names. Taglines. Know-how.