Word: Whataboutism

Wed Sep 10 12:42:19 UTC 2014

Barry Popik created a valuable entry for "Whataboutism" recently. So I
decided to revisit the topic which was discussed in a thread I
initiated on the ADS mailing list in February 2014. Here is a link to
Barry's entry:

Whataboutism (Entry from September 05, 2014)
http://bit.ly/1wfRjjQ
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/whataboutism/

Hugo found an intriguing GB snippet in a book with a 1990 GB date. He
also found some excellent matches in the Usenet archive starting in
June 2000. It looks like Barry found the June 2000 and other Usenet
matches independently. I found an interesting 1994 GB match for "What
aboutism" with a space separator. When I posted the 1994 match several
months ago it was unverified. Now, I have verified the 1994 match in a
U.S. book edition, and the details are below. There was a 1993 U.K.
edition which I have not seen.

Here is a link to the start of the ADS thread in the archive:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;27aa64e7.1402A

Here is a link to Hugo's message:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;1b8cd96e.1402B

Here is a link to the old message about the 1994 match:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;fbd01122.1402B

Here is additional information about the 1994 match which has been
verified using scans.

Year: 1994
Title: May the Lord in his mercy be kind to Belfast
Author: Tony Parker
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company, New York
  (Originally published in the UK in 1993 by Jonathan Cape)
Quote Page 136
(Verified with scans)

[Begin excerpt]
After Enniskillen, I was left feeling totally sick, and very conscious
of the same feelings of many of our people about it. They were
disgusted and rightly so. And I'd no time at all for 'What aboutism' -
you know, people who said 'Yes, but what about what's been done to us?
What about Bloody Sunday in Derry, what about the shooting of three
defenceless people in Gibraltar by the SAS?' That had nothing to do
with it, and if you got into it you were defending the indefensible.
[End excerpt]

Garson