fapp and phallologocentrism

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Sep 11 11:47:44 UTC 2014

This is not something I've followed up with any research, yet. (And I
regret opening a rather prurient line of thinking.)

But yesterday it was striking me that "fapp," being onomatopoeic in
origin, originates from referring to *male* masturbation. "Jack off" is
similar. And then the feminist critical theory buried under detritus in
my mind started bubbling up and pointed out the exclusion of female
masturbation from those terms and the corollary of denial of female
sexuality, etc., etc. Not that I really want to know, but likely there
are terms for female masturbation out there (and probably easily
findable on Urban Dictionary, if I really want to follow this line of
thinking), but I'm betting that they're not onomatopoeic.

(So, I think I am once again pointing out the obvious. My work here is
done.)

---Amy West