fapp and phallologocentrism

Sat Sep 13 14:46:00 UTC 2014

Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> Just as an aside: I must have seen this verb spelled "fap" hundreds
> of times on-line over the [recent] years; OTOH I do not recall ever
> seeing the spelling "fapp" prior to the current discussion (of course
> I don't claim a good statistical sample or perfect memory).

The use of "fapp" on the mailing list instead of "fap" may be my
responsibility / error.

On September 3 I posted a message about the neologism "fappening"
which was appearing in news articles and gave the breakdown "fapp +
happening". In retrospect, I should have given the derivation "fap +
happening" because fap occurs with higher frequency than fapp.

I first encountered the term several years ago in the form "fapping"
or "fapped" (probably). Before posting to ADS I performed a quick
search on "fapp" and saw an entry at Urban Dictionary which I thought
corroborated the spelling.  But the original comic strip spelling form
was "fap" and that spelling is more common.