Gentleman Harry Simms, Flash, and the OED

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 15 12:31:59 UTC 2014

But in the songs it's an adjective, not a noun meaning criminal lingo.

Note too that the OED use of  "slang" in the definition is apparently meant
as an equivalent synonym rather than in the rather different modern sense.

JL