euphemistic use of "exempt"

Geoff Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Sep 17 13:03:37 UTC 2014

In some other unionized context (such as universities) 'exempt' means 'not a member of the union', and therefore not subject to restrictions on hiring and firing ('exempt' employees are usually 'at-will', and can be fired without cause). Also they can be subjected to more stringent employment restrictions, but can also supervise others.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.