euphemistic use of "exempt"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 18 00:23:34 UTC 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 8:03 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 9/17/2014 07:47 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> Bledsoe.
>>
>> --LH, Pats fan
>
> The New York--Boston sports fans' dividing line is further west than I thought.
>
> Joel

To take baseball, there are actually surveys and maps online that, to my surprise, show New Haven as being firmly in Yankees territory, with the isofan being further east and north, even though my own anecdotal impression over the last 10 years, based on counts of baseball caps, suggests it's a lot closer split.  In my own case, I was reared as a Brooklyn Dodgers fan by my Brooklynite father and spent many days at Ebbets Field; when O'Malley shipped them west, I stopped being a Dodgers fan but never gave up my devotion to rooting against the Yankees.  As for the Pats, they are, after all, the *New England* Patriots.  I suspect there may actually be a fairly close distribution of Pats vs. Giants fans in this area since 2001, with Jets fans in the third position corresponding to the Mets.  One independent piece of evidence might be what the relevant network (CBS or FOX) affiliate does when the Giants and Pats games are carried on the same network at the same time.  Next Sunday, when this happens, the Connecticut CBS affiliate is carrying the Pats game, but that may be influenced by the Giants already being 0-2; I remember the choice going the other way in the past.

LH