amelioration of "shock"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 20 15:50:09 UTC 2014

As in "shock and awe", I suppose.  Might that have been the opening
for this use of "shocked", being equated with "awed" but taking on
"awed"s positive aspect?  (Although I see the OED doesn't make much
in "awe v." of the sense "pleasantly amaze".)

By the way, how do aw-droppers pronounce "awe"?

Joel