Line from TV ad

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 22 19:10:14 UTC 2014

"_One_ of those, of course, _are_ fruits and vegetables."

About a half-century ago, I was reading one of those paperback books of the
"Teach Yourself [Language]" type. The language was Turkish. In the intro,
the author pointed out that, even in written Turkish, there was a tendency
for the number of a verb to be controlled by the number of any NP
immediately preceding that verb and not by the number of the subject NP.

Nowadays, the same is true of English. In the case above  - surely, I'm not
the only person to have noticed this particular example! - the number of
the verb is apparently controlled by the number of the nearest NP preceding
the verb, despite the blocking interjection and the fact that the subject
is as semantically singular as a word can be.
--
-Wilson
-----