ADS-L Digest - 25 Sep 2014 to 26 Sep 2014 (#2014-97)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Sep 29 12:38:19 UTC 2014

Yep, I was going to point to German where there isn't this strong
distinction in the "floor"/"ground" cognates, but was waiting for  Chris
to do so.

And, of course, back in the days of Old English, in a typical house,
very often the floor was in fact ground (what we now call a "dirt
floor"). But, I have not gone back into the dictionaries or corpus to
look into any kind of split in that period.

Good on Eric pointing out the outdoors "floor" use.

---Amy West