[Ads-l] "spiriting (away)" -- verbal noun not in OED?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 2 14:54:09 UTC 2015

> On Apr 2, 2015, at 10:32 AM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:
>
> If "spiriting"or "spiriting away" (kidnapping; see "spirit v." senses 5.a and 6.a) can be a noun, I don't see it in the OED.  "Spiriting n." is present, but not with the "kidnapping" sense.

I would consider these to be verbs; they take adverbs as modifiers rather than adjectives (e.g. quickly or illegally, not quick or illegal) and don't take an "of" with their objects.  But "the spiriting away of children" would indeed involve a (verbal) noun.  If it's [kidnapping or spiriting away] children, as opposed to [kidnapping] or [spiriting away children] in the OED cite, "kidnapping" would be a verb there too.  In the latter case it would be a noun.

I'm actually more surprised by "an evidence" below.

LH