[Ads-l] Unprintable quote of the year candidate?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 5 14:40:49 UTC 2015

courtesy of Andrew Harrison of the formerly undefeated U. of Kentucky after his team was upset by the Frank Kaminsky-led U. of Wisconsin Badgers in the NCAA men's basketball semi-finals...

[During post-game interviews]
Q:  "George Schroder, from USA Today.  This one for Karl(-Anthony Towns). Wonder if you can talk about Kaminsky and what makes him so difficult to defend and what if anything is unique about defending him and the things he does? For Karl."
[Background muffled comment from Towns's teammate Harrison]: "Fuck that nigger."

What makes this noteworthy is that Harrison is black and Kaminsky is white.  This is being widely reported as a "slur", but it's obviously a bit more complicated than if Kaminsky had made the same comment directed at Harrison.  As it is, Harrison apologized in a 3:25a.m. tweet:

"First i want to apologize for my poor choice of words used in jest towards a player I respect and know."

Interesting exercise trying to determine what would have been a better choice of words for expressing the same content...

LH