[Ads-l] "on the nose"

Mon Apr 6 09:21:12 UTC 2015

Database matches suggest that the phrase "too on the nose" was
employed in a 1947 short story in the domain of music. The denotation
of "on the nose" in this citation seems to be: precisely on time. This
sense is listed in the OED. But the connotation of "too on the nose"
seems to be: insufficiently complex, subtle, or variable. Perhaps this
is a precursor to the modern sense under investigation.

Date: May 1947
Periodical: The Harpers Monthly
Short story title: Sparrow's Last Jump
Story author: Elliott Grennard
Start Page 419, Quote Page 420, End Page 426
(Data may be inaccurate; not verified on paper; information from
Google Books snippet view and Unz metadata; short story also appears
to be in the O. Henry Award 1948 compilation)

[Begin extracted text]
The only thing screwy about Hughie was that he had gone on a be-bop
kick and had chucked up a sweet job with Basie, plus a bookful of
recording dates every month. That's the trouble with be-bop. Once you
start hearing those screwy chords in your ear and get those offbeats
in your system, you can't play any other way. The old way is too
straight, too on-the-nose.
[End extracted text]

The 1969 citation below is in the film domain, and the phrase "too on
the nose" seems to match the modern sense of clumsily direct and
lacking subtlety. However, nowadays the phrase is sometimes shortened
to "on the nose". The 2005 citation below has both versions.