[Ads-l] Hager-ma growley (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 9 02:09:05 UTC 2015

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:27 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Saratoga Spring NY _Daily Saratogan_ 22 Feb 1883
>
> "Beware, you base twelve-ounce-to-the-pound huckster, you gimlet-eyed
> seller of dog-sausage, you sanded-sugar idiot, you small potato three card
> monte sleight of hand rotten egg fiend, you villain that sells smoked sturgeon
> and dogfish for smoked halibut. The avenger is on your track."

These all seem like vile acts indeed except for the smoked-sturgeon-selling villain.  Could smoked halibut really have been more highly valued than smoked sturgeon?  Today, smoked sturgeon is available unsliced in 1.0-1.3 pound chunks at the moment for $32 at one site, and at another (http://www.911caviar.com) at $25.50 for a 10-12 ounce package.  Smoked halibut from Alaska seems is variably available for online purchase in the neighborhood of $20-$25 a pound.  So maybe today's villains would be selling smoked halibut for smoked sturgeon.  (Of course it's all a matter of supply, demand, and custom--back in 1883 fish-house workers were probably still rioting over being served oysters and lobsters too often.)

LH