[Ads-l] three card monte (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Apr 9 22:35:40 UTC 2015

I believe that "Thimble riggers" refers to people who run a "shell
game" scam. So it is a different game, but it shares some points of
similarity with "three card monte". The victim thinks that there is an
object that is hidden in one of three locations.

Merriam Webster has an entry for: thimblerig
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thimblerig
[Begin excerpt]
1:  a swindling trick in which a small ball or pea is quickly shifted
from under one to another of three small cups to fool the spectator
guessing its location
2:  one who manipulates the cup in thimblerig :  thimblerigger
[End excerpt]

I also believe that "three card game", "French monte", and "three card
monte" all refer to the same game in the citations I gave previously.

The OED seems to equate "three card game" and "three card monte".

Garson