[Ads-l] Fw: [C18-L] Rochester, children, and theories

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 10 00:07:43 UTC 2015

If anyone is interested in following this up, reply directly to C18-L at LISTS.PSU.EDU
Joel
    ----- Forwarded Message -----
  From: Russ Hunt <hunt at STU.CA>
 To: C18-L at LISTS.PSU.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:42 PM
 Subject: [C18-L] Rochester, children, and theories

I should be able to find the answer to this, but it occurs to me
that someone on this wonderful list may already know it, more
quickly than I can find it.

I just receive a posting in which Rochester is quoted as saying:

"Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up
children; now I have six children and no theories."

I did a quick Google search, and found many attributions of this
to Rochester, but none I trust. This sounds just flat wrong: my
ear says nobody in the Restoration would speak, or write, this
way. "Got married"? "six theories"? "Bringing up" children?

And, well, Lord Rochester as a humbled domestic pater familias?

Does anyone know immediately whether this is actually a quote --
or, better, when or how it came to be attributed to Rochester?

-- Russ

--
Russ Hunt
Professor Emeritus