[Ads-l] three card monte

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 10 02:43:43 UTC 2015

> I also believe that "three card game", "French monte", and "three card > monte" all refer to the same game in the citations I gave previously.>> The OED seems to equate "three card game" and "three card monte".
I don't dispute that Garson's "three card game" cites refer to three card monte.  However, "three card loo" was a contemporary card betting game, so I wouldn't assume that any old "three card game" was 3CM, unless it was unambiguously so.
And even though I called it a game here and earlier, 3CM is _not_ a game.  It was (and is) a straight-up swindle.  The mark does not win.  He may appear to win at low stakes to entice him to bet his wad in a succeeding play, but it is always under the control of the broad-tosser, who typically has shills acting as other bettors to help manage the flow of the "game".
In a game, you have a chance to win.  In 3CM, there is no chance.