[Ads-l] Upside-down

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 01:31:23 UTC 2015

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong. This is certainly not new and
jargon (pollster) use likely dates back a couple of decades, if not longer.
But I noticed much more frequent use of "upside-down" in covering political
polling. Essentially, from where I'm sitting, it's gone from occasional
jargon drop from pollsters and campaign managers to regular mention in news
coverage.

"Hillary's favorability is trending upside-down." (Poll reports more
"unfavorable" than "favorable" responses on Hillary Clinton.)

"Underwater" was used similarly at some point, but failed to stick (maybe
it will make a comeback). The more common use of "underwater" (principal
owed on mortgage is higher than cost of home, i.e., a mortgage cannot be
repaid by selling the house) was common in the news early in the recession
but also has receded back to jargon.

VS-)