[Ads-l] "paddy wagon" antedated

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 19:54:09 UTC 2015

James Yorkston's "Cockles and Mussels," however, appears to have been
written in Edinburgh in 1884.

Wackipedia asserts that it appeared a year earlier in Harvard man W. H.
Hills's "Student Songs," but that edition seems not to be available. The
song does appear in the 1884 ed.

There is no evidence of its existence earlier, despite the ballyhooed
discovery of the name "Molly Malone" in a song of 1791.

JL

JL