[Ads-l] Snowclone: Can a (derog) X get a Y?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sat Apr 18 20:39:44 UTC 2015

Comment below.

  From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:05 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Snowclone: Can a (derog) X get a Y?

  Later, it
occurred to me that "yid" used among yidn is no more *necessarily* an
insult than "nigger" used among niggers is, abstracting away from the push
by black comedians, beginning with Dave Chapelle, IME, to expand the use of
"nigger" as "guy" to include *any* male person, irrespective of race,
creed, color, nationality, or previous condition of servitude.

Warning: language, slightly worse than above.

As (if I remember correctly) the black Kentucky basketball player said when asked his opinion of the white Wisconsin player who had just starred in the game that ended Kentucky's hopes for a 40 and 0 season, "Fuck that nigger."  (Not derog.)

Or, if the opposing team had been CCNY's of 1949-50, the only team to ever have won both the NCAA and NIT tournaments in the same year, three of whose starters were Jewish (or perhaps not merely -like but -really), "Fuck that yid."  (Derog, unless the black Kentucky player was a Jew.)

P.S.  The two other CCNY starters were black.  It was the first NCAA champion to have black players in its starting lineup.
Joel