[Ads-l] (Off List) Quote: Kind to her inferiors. And where does she find them?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 20 14:16:25 UTC 2015

(I'm replying on-list because I'm making an assertion about the connotations of "condescension".)

I don't think "condescension" generally meant treating inferiors as "equals."  That would have been dramatically inconsistent with a hierarchical society.  Despite Johnson's "to sink willingly to equal terms with inferiours".  (Did he not on occasion choose what he thought a word ought to mean, rather than how people actually used it?)

I would look to the other half of Johnson's definition of the verb, "To depart from the privileges of superiority by a voluntary submission".  And to the OED's sense 2., "fig. To come or bend down, so far as a particular action is concerned, from one's position of dignity or pride; to stoop voluntarily and graciously; to deign."  And to a word used much more frequently(n.1), "obliging", adj., in sense 1.a, "Of a person, disposition, etc.: ready to do a service or kindness; courteous, civil, accommodating."

Thus I suggest "the word 'condescension' generally meant treating inferiors with kindness and courtesy, without regard to their station".
Joel
(1) See NGram Viewer, https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=condescending%2C+obliging&year_start=1650&year_end=1799&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Ccondescending%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cobliging%3B%2Cc0

________________________________
From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
To: Joel Berson <berson at att.net>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 2:39 AM
Subject: (Off List) Quote: Kind to her inferiors. And where does she find them?

Thanks for your response Joel. What do you think about using the
following explanation for "condescension"?:

[Begin excerpt]
Please note that the word "condescension" now has a negative
connotation, but in the text above from the 1700s the word
"condescension" referred to the treatment of inferiors as equals which
was viewed as a positive personal quality.
[End excerpt]

Garson